Yoga asanas for Weight Gain – Do people keep mocking you about your skinny body? Are you looking for natural & effective ways to put on some weight?
Yoga is proven to be one of the best solutions for all kinds of health-related problems. To gain weight naturally, you need to eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, and do yoga asanas daily. However, you have to understand that gaining weight is not possible overnight. It takes time and effort to put on weight healthily. Also, you need to find the underlying cause for you being underweight. This will provide you with a better idea about the best foods and the most effective asanas for you.
Common reasons for being underweight
- Hereditary – Some people are underweight due to the hereditary factors i.e. the condition being passed down to generations.
- Over-active metabolism – People with over-active metabolism also tend to be underweight as all the food they eat gets absorbed by the body.
- Excessive physical activities – People who are involved in intense physical activities like running, sports, etc. also tend to burn a huge amount of calories. All the calories they consume, often get absorbed by the body, causing them to have low body weight.
- Diseases – Various diseases can cause this condition as people tend to lose their appetite and get weaker.
- Poor mental health – Depression, Agony, Stress, and Eating Disorders can lead to loss of appetite and difficulty to gain weight.
Yoga asanas for Weight Gain
The Bhujangasana is also known as the Cobra Pose. This asana improves blood circulation, boosts digestion, builds muscles, and enhances metabolism. It also helps in strengthening of back and core area. Many yoga experts around the world recommend this pose for putting on weight. You need to do it daily to get faster and better results.
How to do the Bhujangasana?
- Lie down with your stomach on the flood.
- Use your forearms to lift your head, chest & shoulder, while keeping your palms on the floor.
- Try to keep your face towards the ceiling while breathing.
- Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Repeat it 2-3 times daily.
Sarvangasana is also called the Shoulder Stand Pose, as you have to balance your whole body on your shoulders. You need to perform this pose when you haven’t had anything i.e. empty stomach. This asana is great for enhancing metabolic activities, thyroid functioning, digestion, and blood purification. By doing this pose regularly, you can easily put on some weight.
Here are the steps to do the Sarvangasana.
- Lie down on the floor on your back.
- Lift your lower body vertically on your shoulders.
- Support your waist with both your hands.
- Hold your body in this pose for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Also, eat a healthy diet to get better results.
The Vajrasana is also known as the Diamond Pose. It is one of the simplest yet most effective asanas to improve digestion. It also helps in getting rid of various digestion-related problems like constipation. You need to do this pose after meals to get the best results. Also, it will help in strengthening your calves, thighs and lower body.
Here are the steps to do the Vajrasana.
- Sit down on your knees with your feet touching the floor.
- Keep your palms on your upper thighs.
- Slowly breathe in and out.
- Stay in this position for 5 to 10 minutes at least.
The Pavanmuktasana is also referred to as the Wind Releasing Pose. This pose helps in getting rid of stomach-related problems like constipation, digestive disorders & bloating. The boosted digestive system helps in putting up weight as the body can utilize all the calories you consume.
How to do the Pavanmuktasana?
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend and lift your knees to your chest while exhaling.
- Hold both your knees firmly with your hands.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and release your knees slowly while inhaling.
- Repeat these steps 5-10 times.
- Also, make sure to have an empty stomach to do this pose.
Commonly known as the Fish Pose, this asana helps in improving blood circulation and absorption of nutrients by the body. This pose is really good for weight gain, hair health, and back.
How to do the Matsyasana?
- Sit down on your hips with a straight back.
- Place both palms under your hips and slowly bend your head back towards the floor.
- Support your upper body with your elbows and slowly touch your head on the floor.
- While inhaling, lift your upper body and hold the position for a few seconds.
- Then, relax by bringing your upper back and head on the floor.
- You can also do this pose with crossed legs for more intensity.
This asana is commonly known as the Corpse Pose, as you lie still like a corpse. This is a great pose for improving nutrients absorption and digestion. It is a very simple pose, but you’ve to do it correctly for good results.
Here are the steps to do the Savasana.
- Lie down straight on your back.
- Keep your feet a bit apart from each other.
- Keep both your hands on the floor.
- Breathe slowly while focusing on it.
- Do this for 5 to 10 minutes.
The Uttanasana is also known as the Forward Bending Pose. It helps in boosting the digestive system and strengthening of the backbone. It is an effective pose for increasing weight in both women and men.
How to do the Uttanasana?
- Stand straight with both your feet a bit apart.
- While slowly exhaling, bend down to touch both your feet with your hands.
- Hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Relax back to the initial standing position.
- Repeat these steps 4-5 times.
Chakrasana is also called the Wheel Pose, as you have to almost form a wheel with your body. This pose helps in improving digestion and appetite, which further help in weight gain. It also helps in keeping your body in shape while gaining weight.
Here are the steps to do the Chakrasana.
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees with heels on the ground and bring your feet closer to your hips.
- Place both your hands on the sides of your head, with your palms touching the floor.
- Lift your body with your palms and feet to form a wheel-like formation.
- Breathe slowly and hold this position for a few seconds.
- Then, slowly bring down your body on the floor.
Also known as the Bow Pose, this asana is really good for boosting your appetite and for the removal of toxins from the body. By combining this asana with a healthy diet, you can easily put on weight.
How to do the Dhanurasana?
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Lift your feet towards your hips by bending your knees.
- Then, hold both your feet with your hands.
- By putting pressure on your back, lift your upper body to form a bow-like formation.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and then, slowly bring your body down to the initial position.
The Bottom Line
Well, these were the best 9 Yoga Asanas to help you gain weight easily. Make sure to get expert guidance for performing these asanas in the right way. Along with these, you also need to focus on healthy eating to get the best results. Also, if you experience any kinds of problems after doing these asanas, get in touch with a doctor ASAP.