Thyroid and hair issues
Hello, friend’s hair loss is a big problem these days. Many of you must have tried a lot of hair shampoos, tonics, serums, oils, therapies, hair foods, and scalp analysis to treat the cause of hair loss, but all in vain. You may be ignoring or missing the root cause of the hair problem. Hair issues may be due to the underactive or overactive thyroid gland. It is the imbalance of the thyroid gland that causes hair loss. Sometimes the gland is underactive and sometimes it is overactive. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the lower part of our throat. You must have gone through my previous article on hyperthyroidism which very well describes the issue related to the consequences of when the thyroid gland is more active than normal.
Symptoms of underactive or overactive thyroid glands on hair-Our hair show a lot of changes when the thyroid gland doesn’t work properly. The most common ones are the ones below one. The important factor that is important to note here is that one or more symptoms may occur at a time and sometimes the symptoms may go off by themselves and sometimes it needs proper diagnosis and treatment. The most common symptoms are-
Thinning of hair -Hair loss is a very gradual process and hair starts losing its density and volume? They become thin and weak.
Greying of hair -There is premature greying of hair irrespective of the age factor or any hereditary issues.
Bald patches-Bald patches around the head. Sometimes on front or back or mid of the head initially these patches are not easily recognizable but become visible with time.
Change in color of hair -You may notice that the natural color of the hair has changed or is reversing.
Rough and damaged hair-The hair becomes rough, dry, damaged, brittle, unmanageable, and loses shine.
Additional symptoms may include –Besides the above symptoms there may be some additional symptoms too. But the thing to notice here is that these symptoms may be associated with some other diseases too. So it is better to consult the doctor if the hair problem is due to some other major or minor illness. Additional symptoms may include-
Excessive weight loss
Hair loses on other parts of the body such as eyebrows and underarms
Disturbed and irregular sleep
How to diagnose the level of thyroid hormones in the body-
It is very easy to diagnose the level of thyroid levels in the body through a small blood test. This test includes T3, T4, and TSH and a complete thyroid test to ascertain the levels of thyroid hormones in the body. When the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones that condition is called hypothyroidism and when the thyroid gland produces too many hormones that condition is called hyperthyroidism. After the diagnosis of the problem, the doctor can treat hair issues in a better way.
Things to be kept in mind- Some important facts are to be kept in mind
1) Hair loss through thyroid malfunction is a very gradual process.
2) It takes months and years to develop symptoms of thyroid gland malfunction. But it is also associated with other deficiencies or diseases in the body.
How to treat hair loss issues due to thyroid? Hair problems due to thyroid hormonal imbalance are a common problem that can be resolved by following some necessary steps and procedures and constant follow-up of the disease. Here is a list of some important factors that must be kept in mind to treat hair loss due to thyroid imbalance.
1) Take care of nutritional deficiencies especially iron and iodine-Hair loss due to thyroid problems may be treated well by taking the proper diet which includes hair specific diet such as foods rich in iron and folic acid, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Biotin, Vitamin E and zinc, and copper, etc. Besides this, iodine intake is also important as iodine plays an important role in making thyroid hormones. A rich diet full of essential nutrients plays an important role in resolving hair issues due to thyroid and normal hair loss too.
2) Lifestyle changes-Some lifestyle changes may also prove fruitful. Wake up early and try to sleep early. Make a proper sleep schedule. Eat fresh and healthy as this is the key to a healthy life too. Try to stay close to nature. Always try to stay calm and happy.
3) Exercise-Some light exercises and meditation can prove a blessing to avoid thyroid issues and associated problems. Exercises keep us active which is a key to a happy mind and healthy body. Light exercises regularly lead to proper blood circulation in the body and boost up stamina to fight infections and illnesses.
4) Keep yourself hydrated-It is necessary to drink at least 10-12 glasses of water in a day. So stay hydrated. It helps to strengthen the roots of the hair and gives immense benefits to all the parts of the body and helps to remove toxins out of the body. But try to consume healthy beverages like lemon water, fresh fruit juices and try to avoid carbonated drinks.
5) Try to avoid hair therapies and over-styling of your hair that cause hair damage and hair loss-A lot of hair therapies and treatments may worsen the hair issues as the hair may react the other way. As a result, the roots may become weak and there is more hair loss. Try to choose safe, natural, and herbal hair smoothening spas and therapies which aid in the strengthening of the roots. Over-styling may also prove harmful as there may be loss of more than usual hair in these styling methods. So try to avoid lengthy bun and braids styles that lead to more breakage and loss of hair.
For more updates keep in touch with healthnwellness.